Saturday, July 19, 2008

Wellington...is just class!

I went to Wellington today for an interview, and I just can't explain why I like it. The city just has character and seems soo awesome, unlike cold Christchurch.. I almost feel like having an affair with Wellington now (tell me that ad is not cheesy). Unfortunately in this trip I was there only for a couple of hours that I barely managed to finish my interview and did not have time for lunch.

The company is a massive consultancy, but I was being interviewed with two Chemical Engineering managers who were part of a 60-man company that got absorbed in this consultancy.They are both previous graduates from our department and I felt I could talk to them like friends. The senior manager even mentioned "how good a speaker I am" gosh I didn't know that, guess I am getting much better at interviews HA. I was actually thinking o rejecting the interview when I first got the call as I already agreed to the previous (and first) job offer I got. lI had already turned down two other interviews earlier this week since I was in no way interested in the offered job and didn't want to waste my time...also they didn't offer to fly me to Wellington muhhahaha.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I think I aced the interview and will get a job offer soon-ish, which will most likely be much better than the one I accepted. Both companies are absoultey great, but my goal was always to be in Wellington. I can most likely get out of the first job agreement, legally, since I haven't signed a contract yet (just the "offer") but am not sure I can live with myself if I did that...

Something interesting in the trip. The taxi driver I took to Wellington city was a muslim Indonesian, we talked a lot and he even offered to pick me back up for Friday prayer (which was on the time of my return flight so I couldn't go) and the meter charge was $38 as I arrived to the cityOn the way back to the airport, the taxi driver was Cambodian. Another nice guy, he talked about how he served in the army to fight the khmer back in the 70s and how he hates Americans since they supplied weapons to both sides (best conversation starter to get sympathy from an Iranian it seems) , the meter ended up showing $28 only. Hmmmm I wonder if the Indonesian "brother" took longer route on purpose... I paid with vouchers anyway so doesn't matter to me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Organica said...

I am proud of you!

7:00 am  
Blogger Ali said...

Haha thanks, I wish I was :\

8:47 pm  
Blogger Undercover Dragon said...

Ali,

If you get the second offer, just be relatively honest with the first set of guys, and explain your thinking (especially if its not just money, but the job offer itself) and how you (regretably) have to turn them down. Don't burn any bridges, and they should understand.

Also, don't have that conversation until you've totally locked down the second offer, naturally!

Good luck in Windy Wellington.

12:41 am  
Blogger Ali said...

Thanks Dragon, I already got the verbal job offer just waiting for the paperwork.

I already did few hours on the 1st job and it is not really in my field! I won't even bother getting any salary as it will be what I hope to ease up the situation when I bring up the discussion "oh no I cannot accept it as I spent the hours learning how to work etc.."

Thanks for your advice.

10:35 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home