Monday, February 18, 2008

End of summer research

Yes yes.. it is true.. I am DONE with that project, albeit it wasn't as successful as I had hoped.
I obviously didn't get to write a coherent article, let alone get it published. I blame the materials, equipment, biochemistry, whoever discovered PEG and the pipettes and hmmm myself!

So ya, the new material was like a unicorn. The chemist kept telling me its going to take anther week and I had been waiting for three weeks until he realized he can't purify it with the traditional methods. He tried explaining the details of it but to be honest, I wasn't interested at all.. basically it was dissolving in solvent so we had to use a special type of Ion Exchange column which we didn't have or something. So anyway, I ended up having to write a report explaining my method, my results and why they are so crap. Some final year student, i.e. one of my classmates, is going to take this project this upcoming year if the supervisor thought there is hope to salvage it, so my report should give them a clear idea of what previous was was done. If I was honest, I would never have given the report in the way I did if it actually contributed any marks. It was waaaay below my standards but thats not what I intended it to be, its meant to be a guide for whomever is going to continue the project. So now I just have to wait for the supervisor to approve the report (otherwise I have to fix it) and then they can give me the rest of the money for the project.

My next project is actually going to be my graduation project... no more biochemistry but it involves mass transfer.... the discipline that I find the hardest in Chemical Engineering. BUT I am looking forward to it, I was promised it is going to be practical so let's see.

Although uni officially starts on Monday 25th, this upcoming week is going to be busy with me getting a job in the enrollment center. It is heaps of fun acting all important and getting to stamp applications of your fellow students.. also I get to finish my enrollment when the queues are gone... awesome :D

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home