Monday, October 20, 2008

$*(@&*($@ this

You know what, $@*($&* this!

Just now I got this gem in a forwarded email:

Click for larger image
We always talk about racism and how to prevent it, well I do..
Never mind the Bin Laden reference (wtf is he thinking), what the hell are they on about? Call me overlay sensitive but this kind of crap boils my blood, "this BABU from India"... Agghh .....like who the hell are you.

I notice some aspects of this racism towards Chinese students over here. I work in the enrollment center during international enrollment, and I always notice some university staff speak to Chinese students like they are retards for not speaking English well, happened in a first aid course as well. BUT, unlike the Gulf, the offenders are mostly "senior citizens" who are generally nice and probably think they're being friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately I haven't been speaking up against this crap as much as I would like. As preparations for my return to Oman and having to deal with it again, I decided to act.
First action: reply to the sender of that email with the following:

That fellow crane operator is probably more important than you will ever be

Agh that's too harsh he's someone I know very well... hmmmm

How do you even know that crane operator is even Indian, let alone named Babu?

... yes I'll go with that.

I can't say am an angel myself, am probably guilty of this sometimes.. but if there is no one to remind me how would I know!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger mezba said...

i can't help but think.. what a view!

9:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That image is terrifying, I think. Plus, what this cartoon does is make height equal to career and progress in it. It's a sarcastic, racist twist.

I'm not that fond of it either.

2:14 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home