Saturday, August 09, 2008

Toughest things

As I previously talked about, I have just received my offer from the other company in the mail today.

I was very anxious as this was expected and it meant I actually had to do something I never ever wanted to do... BREAK UP... with the other company! To be perfectly honest I really wanted to work for them, but the part time hours I spent with them made me realize, even though what they're doing is very exciting, its not what I want to be. I don't want to be a bloody HVAC engineer.. I want to be the top dawg chemical engineer designing new processes dammit!

So I tried calling the boss today, it took ages to actually speak to him as he was in a meeting then he called me when I was in Friday prayer. I finally got hold of him and he's all cheerful "Good Afternoon Ali, how is uni etc..." I went straight into it and his tone changed and he was bloody furious, understandably. I tried to make my point how I did not intent this to happen and it is better I tell him now rather than 3-4 months where both of us will be screwed: me without a job and him without any graduates to hire. He was still pissed off. I told him if he thinks am unfair you can not pay me for the hours I worked (I actually didn't send him my bank details for this reason) and just compensate for my petrol expenses. He didn't care and justasked me to decline the job with a formal letter... bummer I thought that would be my leverage point.

I am now trying to talk to a lawyer to make sure my letter will perfectly cover me legally. Unfortunately, that is a bridge burnt and I am sure I'll end up losing some more connections. I was doing some side project for another guy who is good friends with this boss ( I meet him through a lecturer) and he was happy with my work and was due to pay me for it, not sure how his tone will change though.

Agggggh personally I think what I did is against my principles and ethics, but I also think if I wanted to ever enter managment I have to make such decisions and make choices that will not help people. At this point of my life I have to look at what is best for me. The boss is pissed off because he knows his company could've really used me now they have to go for 2nd best (muhahhahahhahahhah).

I'll keep you guys updated when I screw up the new company :D
Maybe next time I can try the trick I kept telling my friends about...
drink coffee
"WTF!? this coffee is S***, do you call this coffee??? I QUIT"

ahm j/k j/k

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger asoom said...

Sounds like things are doing really well for you!

You should always do the best for you because the fact is noone actually cares about you...they care about their own interests so you shouldn't feel guilty about your decisions.

2:33 am  
Blogger Ali said...

hmm that is indeed true, and I've been trying to use that to justify it... still bothers me though. Business is business in the end of it...sigh.

12:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

you call this coffee? I quit!

12:49 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home